Friday, March 4, 2011

Supper's Ready!

I love any recipe that includes ingredients that won't go "bad" before their time and doesn't require a lot of pre-planning.  Well, I have got two recipes that cover both bases and are received warmly in this household.

The first one comes from one of those Kraft Food and Family magazines.  I used to get these for free when we first moved into our house.  Oh, to have them return!  Non-intimidating ingredients, straightforward directions and meals my family enjoys...it's a win.

Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast tenders, thawed
2 Tbsp Taco Bell taco seasoning mix
2 Tbsp  flour
1 cup frozen corn (i'm generous with the corn)
1.5 cups chunky salsa
1 cup chicken broth.

Coat the strips with the flour and taco seasoning. (I do this right in the slow cooker) Mix remaining ingredients together in your slow cooker and turn it on high for 3-4 hours.

I put mine on top of brown rice and top with cheese and green onions.

Easy Breezy.

The second recipe is from my neighbor, Patti.  This is another easy one that can be prepped and ready in 30 minutes.

Shrimp and Feta Bake

olive oil
3 cloves minced garlic ( I use the minced garlic from a jar)
2 14oz cans of diced tomatoes
1lb large raw shrimp (cue gasp: I buy the bag of peeled, tail on frozen shrimp at the grocery store-not 1 complaint)
1 cup crumbled feta
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 box long grain wild rice or saffron rice    

Use just enough olive oil to brown garlic.  Once brown, add the tomatoes and boil until slightly thickened.  (I'm not a huge tomato fan so I add a pinch of sugar as anything in my world tends to be better with sugar!) Add thawed shrimp and lemon juice to mixture and cook until shrimp are just pink.  Sprinkle feta on top and remove from stove top and place under the broiler to soften the feta.

Serve on top of your choice of rice and done.  Serve a green salad with it and your husband will wonder how you do it all!

Kerry, I can see you making this shrimp and feta dish for a group of your "professor-type" friends and being a HIT! Just a simple mention is all I ask.

Have a great weekend, all.

No comments:

Post a Comment